An American Family Epidemic
By Alicia Singleton
• Families comprise 40% of all who are homeless.
• 42% of homeless children are under the age of 6.
• According to the 2010 United States Conference of Mayors Report, family homelessness increased by 9%.
• Families with children comprise one of the fastest growing segments of the homeless population today.
• More than 15% of Americans live in poverty, including 1 in 5 children (22%), the highest rate in the
The suspense thriller, Dark Side of Valor, delves into the harrowing world of teen homelessness. Lelia Freeman’s fictitious life of homelessness and tragedy are the real life experiences of many American teens. With the aid of her community, Lelia’s story ends in triumph. There is hope for families as well as youth and teens battling homelessness. Youth and family shelters, organizations that aid families in crisis and ordinary citizens engaging in random acts of kindness need our help. American families need our help. Donate. Volunteer your time. Together, America can defeat family homelessness.Meet Author Alicia Singleton
Alicia Singleton, an award winning author, was born and raised in Philadelphia. The Howard University graduate embraced the written word at an early age. She credits this to her loving older sister. Alicia resides in Maryland with her wonderful husband and son. Still an avid reader, Alicia is currently at work on a new novel. Visit her website at www.aliciasingleton.com.